Saturday, October 9, 2010

An Ounce of Prevention....

With Old Man Winter fast approaching, it is time to work on preventing any freezing.
Normally I have done the minimum prevention for the fresh water hose, only wrapping it with foam insulation. This year I decided to take the extra step and add an electric heat cord.

The cord is available at most hardware stores, and is available in several lengths. It is meant to be used on metal or plastic pipes, and not recommended for water hoses, so I put a little foil backed foam tape on the hose first.

Then I ran the heat cord on top of the foil secured every 6 inches or so with tape.


When that was done, I used foam pipe insulation tubes to enclose the hose and heat cord.



This hose is drinking water safe and 25 feet long. I bought the heat cord in a 30 foot length, using the excess for an exterior water filter and the city water inlet. Also, the thermostat for the heat cord is taped to the filter.



Next, I will be skirting the trailer and creating an enclosure for the water using 1/2 inch foam insulation / sheathing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a question or suggestion? I'd like to hear from you. Please submit your comments here.